It’s the economy, stupid!

That was then-Governor Bill Clinton’s constant campaign mantra, pushed by his campaign strategist James Carville, and it worked: Governor Clinton defeated the elder President Bush in November of 1992, after President Bush had a 90% job approval rating in early March of 1991.

Well, it seems as though Governor Rick Perry (R-TX) has read up on it!


Perry: Too soon to judge Obama’s handling of Hurricane Irene


posted at 3:30 pm on August 28, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Maybe it’s because the state of Texas has weathered higher category hurricanes with far less fuss than that with which the East Coast is presently handling Hurricane Irene, but Texas Gov. Rick Perry refuses to allow the abundant meteorological moments of this week overshadow the economy. Political Ticker reports:

The Texas governor appeared at a county GOP picnic in Des Moines on Saturday. During an exchange with reporters, Perry was asked if the president has been an effective leader during a week that saw two menacing natural disasters: an earthquake and currently the hurricane.

Though Perry would not cast judgment, he did cast his answer in overtly political terms.

“He has been an absolute disaster as a president from the standpoint of our economy. That’s what people are really focused on,” Perry said. “Taking a snapshot of whether or not he’s appropriately dealt with the hurricane – I don’t know yet. I’ll tell you when the hurricane’s over.”

Frankly, the news media ought to take a leaf out of Perry’s book and remember the economy even in the midst of a rocky weather week. Irene has already caused significant inconvenience to coasters (as Ed reported this morning, 3 million are without power) and, even more tragically, has resulted in at least one death, but the media devoted so much time to the earthquake and pre-storm prep (probably because most of the media is on the East Coast) that the president essentially received a free pass on the dismal economic news that also emerged this week. Weekly jobless claims rose by 5,000. Home mortgage applications dropped to a new 15-year low. The CBO’s positive predictions of deficit reduction were based on measures that will never take effect.

It’s a sensible move on Governor Perry’s part. First of all, no one could reasonably criticize President Obama’s response to the hurricane yet, since it just hit, and no one really knows what the damage has been, or if any federal response is even needed.

Now, our good friend Amanda Marcotte tried to find a political angle to all of this, praising New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s mandatory evacuation order as “the correct decision,” based on her assessment that a “liberal solution, to prepare for the worst and hope for the best,” controlled, and said:

It feeds the narrative Republicans are trying to shape up, that we don’t actually need government to prepare for extreme weather events like hurricanes. But I would argue Republicans got their chance to try that theory out, and Katrina demonstrated that they are completely fucking wrong. Obviously, Irene wasn’t as bad as Katrina. But the problem with Katrina was that the conservative philosophy was in play—which is to assume the best possible outcome—and the worst happened.

I was amused to note that, given that she was praising the liberal Mayor of New York, and tried to use it to criticize Republican inaction when Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005. That makes the rather glaring error of “forgetting” that the Mayor of New Orleans at the time was Ray Nagin, a Democrat, and the Governor of Louisiana at the time was Kathleen Blanco, a Democrat. Somehow, the fact that President Obama, who had the political sense to cut his Martha’s Vinyard vacation a day short, never did issue an evacuation order — not that it would have been the President’s place to do that — was never mentioned, yet she was trying to attack former President Bush for not doing so.

The silliness of Miss Marcotte’s response simply reaffirms the wisdom of Governor Perry’s answer: he concentrated on the political heart of the argument against re-electing President Obama, and left what will surely be a peripheral issue (if it’s an issue at all) alone. He didn’t attack President Obama’s actions or inactions on Hurricane Irene because we don’t have complete information about the situation in the first place.

Come November of 2012, most of the voters will not remember or care about what President Obama did or did not do in response to Hurricane Irene; come November of 2012, most of the voters will care about the economy. The voters will not (much) remember our involvement in Libya — which is mostly an Obama success — and our involvement in Iraq is already at a non-newsworthy level. We may or may not be on a winning path in Afghanistan by then, but even if we are on a winning path, with most American soldiers heading home by then, it won’t make one bit of difference if unemployment is 8.5% in November of 2012, which is just about where the latest Congressional Budget Office projections claim it will be. (Of course, if the war in Afghanistan is bogged down by election day, it will hurt the President’s chances of being re-elected.)

Governor Perry should take Mr Carville’s ideas to heart: don’t worry about the side issues, and don’t get bogged down in things that don’t matter or won’t matter when the voters go to the polls. It’s the economy, stupid, and the election will not be won, or lost, on anything else.

61 Comments

  1. “Governor Perry should take Mr Carville’s ideas to heart: don’t worry about the side issues, and don’t get bogged down in things that don’t matter or won’t matter when the voters go to the polls. It’s the economy, stupid, and the election will not be won, or lost, on anything else.”

    The hypocritical Governor Perry may try that tactic, which, if it works, shame on the American people. I don’t think it will. GHW Bush was not the campaigner that Obama is. He also made the major mistake of “no new taxes” which, after his election, he raised taxes.

    In contrast to the Righties on here, the American people will come to understand how much Obama has and will have done to prevent a depression and to help create jobs. Moreover, they will also learn how radical a person Perry is, how hypocritical he has been, and how ineffective some of his policies have been. Consider:

    1. Perry lives in a $10k/month tax payer funded mansion while railing against out-of-control government spending!

    2. Perry told the feds to “keep your money” wrt “Race to the Top” funding ($4B), yet in his most recent budget accepts $65 billion in education funds, with strings attached.

    3. Perry threatened secession, yet shortly after the stimulus bill was passed, requested and received $14B in federal stimulus money.

    4. Perry loudly rejected $500M in federal stimulus for unemployment funding, resulting in shortfall in the TX unemployment fund, resulting in a TX unemployment bill/tax for employers in 20 years.

    5. Perry’s record on schools after his eight years in office is pretty dismal: Texas ranks second in public school enrollment, but 49th in teacher pay, 46th in SAT scores, 50th in residents with a high school diploma, 41st in high school graduation rates and 47th in state percentage of state revenue spent on public education. No wonder Perry does not want to compete with other states for “Race to the Top” federal funds!

    6. Perry calls for cuts in government spending, yet over his watch the TX state budget has increased by $80B.

    Governor Perry is going to have to defend his hypocritical record not only in the Primary against Romney, but also in the General, should he get that far. As I see it, there is no guarantee that he will get that far, because both his hypocrisy and his radicalism represent baggage which Perry will be forced to defend. I like to think the American people are smarter than Rick Perry!
    (h/t to State Rep. Jim Dunnam, D-Waco, Chairman of the House Select Committee on Federal Economic Stabilization Funding.)

  2. 3. Perry threatened secession, yet shortly after the stimulus bill was passed, requested and received $14B in federal stimulus money.

    Send me a forwarding address.

  3. “Send me a forwarding address.”

    Good one, Yorkshire! :)

    I am finding it very strange to see my name in print and in the media on a daily basis!!!

  4. Perry says:
    28 August 2011 at 20:50

    “Send me a forwarding address.”

    Good one, Yorkshire!

    I am finding it very strange to see my name in print and in the media on a daily basis!!!

    I guess it would be unnerving since his positions are mostly opposite yours. You probably get this feeling “I didn’t say that.” Irony is a strange dude. 8-) Maybe you can change your name to “the other Perry,” or “CSPT Perry”

  5. Perry — but not Rick Perry! — wrote:

    “Governor Perry should take Mr Carville’s ideas to heart: don’t worry about the side issues, and don’t get bogged down in things that don’t matter or won’t matter when the voters go to the polls. It’s the economy, stupid, and the election will not be won, or lost, on anything else.”

    The hypocritical Governor Perry may try that tactic, which, if it works, shame on the American people. I don’t think it will. GHW Bush was not the campaigner that Obama is. He also made the major mistake of “no new taxes” which, after his election, he raised taxes.

    A pledge he should have kept, and it did cost him.

    As to whether the elder George Bush wasn’t the campaigner President Obama is, I’d point out that he started out way behind Governor Dukakis in the polls, yet came on strong to defeat him. It’s pretty difficult to say that anyone who won a presidential election isn’t a good campaigner, though it’s true that Bill Clinton was a better one.

    And somehow, I’d bet that you had absolutely no objection to Bill Clinton and Barack Obama running on “It’s the economy, stupid,” or had a problem with Senator Obama absolutely trashing President Bush for adding $4 trillion to the national debt in eight years, a feat President Obama accomplished in just 2½.

    I guess it’s only a problem for you when it’s a Republican who can run on “It’s the economy, stupid.”

  6. Perry whined:

    Perry lives in a $10k tax payer funded mansion while railing against out-of-control government spending!

    Uhhh, almost every state has an official Governor’s Mansion; that’s where the Governor’s offices are. The Texas Governor’s Mansion was very heavily damaged by arson in 2008, and both state and private money are being used to restore it.

  7. But, once again, I note that the Democratic mantra isn’t how well President Obama has done his job, but how utterly awful his opponents would be. The reason is simple: if the 2012 election is about President Obama’s job performance, he loses.

    What does it say about your candidate that he can’t run on his own record?

  8. “…, I’d point out that he started out way behind Governor Dukakis in the polls, yet came on strong to defeat him.”

    That’s when the Republicans first discovered the Lee Atwater approach to dirty campaign tricks, from which they have managed to expand the technique in the hands of Karl Rove et al, even to the point of being able to elect a GW Bush twice, the first time with the help of the FL Secretary of State and the SCOTUS, the second, the OH Secretary of State.

    Ironically, Karl Rove, who thinks in terms of candidates who can win, ain’t too hot for Gov Perry, so far! He’s down on Sarah as well, calling her “thin skinned” and chastising her for not making her plans known.

  9. “I guess it’s only a problem for you when it’s a Republican who can run on “It’s the economy, stupid.””

    It is the “economy stupid”, so Obama has to lay out the case for what he inherited and what he has done and what his job creation plan is going forward.

    As a counter, the Repub candidate will have to try to put the economy on Obama’s back, ignoring what he inherited from them, and, they will have to show how the Ryan Plan will create jobs. Obviously, the Repubs have a very weak case, one which Obama will be able to skillfully exploit in the campaign.

    I believe that Obama’s speech on jobs, to be given in a week or so, is crucial for the Obama reelection campaign. I hope it includes more stimulus and investment for the future, including education, while simultaneously phasing in deficit/debt reduction measures, with everything on the table.

  10. The other Perry wrote:

    “…, I’d point out that he started out way behind Governor Dukakis in the polls, yet came on strong to defeat him.”

    That’s when the Republicans first discovered the Lee Atwater approach to dirty campaign tricks, from which they have managed to expand the technique in the hands of Karl Rove et al, even to the point of being able to elect a GW Bush twice, the first time with the help of the FL Secretary of State and the SCOTUS, the second, the OH Secretary of State.

    It’s kind of amusing that, to you, when Democrats win elections, it’s all fair and square, but when Republicans win elections, it’s ’cause they used dirty tricks or they cheated somehow.

    Were you out of the country in 1988, and didn’t see just how bad Governor Dukakis performed in the general election campaign, from his “tank commander” photo to being totally flustered in the debates?

    I understand that y’all will never believe that George Bush won in 2000, but in 2004, he won three million more votes than John Kerry, and Ohio wasn’t even close; George Bush won there by over 100,000 votes. Maybe the voters there were for John Kerry before they were against him? :)

    Ironically, Karl Rove, who thinks in terms of candidates who can win, ain’t too hot for Gov Perry, so far! He’s down on Sarah as well, calling her “thin skinned” and chastising her for not making her plans known.

    I’ve heard stories that the Bush and Perry camps in Texas don’t really like each other that much, but I don’t know how true such stories are. As for Mrs Palin, while I wish she’d announce one way or the other, it’s her decision and no one else’s. If she’s too thin skinned, it’ll show up soon enough in the primaries.

  11. The other Perry wrote:

    It is the “economy stupid”, so Obama has to lay out the case for what he inherited and what he has done and what his job creation plan is going forward.

    Well, what he has done so far ain’t too impressive! And if he has a good jobs plan going forward, why hasn’t he already put it into action?

    As a counter, the Repub candidate will have to try to put the economy on Obama’s back, ignoring what he inherited from them, and, they will have to show how the Ryan Plan will create jobs. Obviously, the Repubs have a very weak case, one which Obama will be able to skillfully exploit in the campaign.

    Oh, you mean that a vague “Hope and Change” campaign, one of sunshine but few specifics, can’t work? :)

    It isn’t the Republicans who have a weak case, but the President who has a weak record. No matter how much you try to explain it away, it won’t work: failure is still failure.

  12. even to the point of being able to elect a GW Bush twice, the first time with the help of the FL Secretary of State and the SCOTUS, the second, the OH Secretary of State.

    Straitjacket, please! You’re absolutely NO different than Truthers or Birthers when you spout this crap, Fossil.

  13. “It isn’t the Republicans who have a weak case, but the President who has a weak record. No matter how much you try to explain it away, it won’t work: failure is still failure.”

    I know that is your message, as you have already repeated it a million times; but that does not make it an accurate statement, only an ideological statement. Experts agree, now in hindsight, that we would have been in a global recession had we not had TARP and the ARRA. Obama’s “failure”, if you will, is that he has not expanded the ARRA, since it did create more net jobs than Bush did in his entire eight years, by about double. The problem is, this is not nearly enough, and the Repubs are pouncing, of course.

    My question is this: What would the Repubs have done differently? All you have proposed is the Ryan plan, which kills jobs. How do you think the American people would have liked that? In the meantime, you will continue to try to pin the recession on Obama as his failure. I think the American people will see through your propaganda and reelect him in large numbers in the states that really count!

  14. “It’s kind of amusing that, to you, when Democrats win elections, it’s all fair and square, but when Republicans win elections, it’s ’cause they used dirty tricks or they cheated somehow.

    ….

    I understand that y’all will never believe that George Bush won in 2000, but in 2004, he won three million more votes than John Kerry, and Ohio wasn’t even close; George Bush won there by over 100,000 votes. Maybe the voters there were for John Kerry before they were against him? :)

    Those 100,000 votes on Ohio in 2004 constitute a close election, Dana. When you factor that in with the fact that the exit polls gave Kerry Ohio by a large margin, but the results gave the election to Bush, you have to question what was going on. The answer is, election fraud by certain key Repub election officials.

    Moreover, there is solid evidence about vote tampering in Ohio, in both 2004 and 2006, which Ohio officials are doing their best to get under control in time for the 2012 elections. There have been several successful criminal prosecutions of Repub operatives.

    I think the Ohio election result was clearly for Kerry, who would then have been our President in the 2004-2008 years. I cannot help but contemplate how much better our country would be today had we had Dems in the oval office instead of the wicked Dick Cheney and his neocon cohorts. Colin Powell had some strong things to say about Cheney and his book on Face the Nation yesterday.

  15. “….and reelect him in large numbers in the states that really count!”

    Are you saying some states “really count” and other states don’t count? Exactly which states don’t count in your opinion?

    And I’d like you to know that as a conservative and a Republican I do not pin the recession on Obama and his failures. I pin it directly on all you progressives (liberals) and your inability to understand the economic dynamic. You guys all seem to believe that if you “wan”t something to happen it will. Well, I’ve got news for you. Sheer force of will cannot “make” 300 million people do what you want. Welcome to that ‘ole Human Factor again. Tell you what, since it has worked so well before, how about we try taxing, spending, printing, borrowing and regulating some more. Perhaps this time it will come together as a perfect marxist storm and propel the economy forward. Ya think, nutsey Fagan? All you guys have in your quiver are the same old tried and failed ideas. Has it ever occured to you that perhaps, just perhaps, the answer to success is the free market? Or musst the answer always be more government? Have you ever considered that instead of subsidizing wind, solar and ethanol if we just gave permits to drill and frack for our own reasourses we could employ a million people? Maybe if you leftists would stop threatening business with taxes, mandates and regulations the businesses may just expand and create more jobs. Or maybe if you leftists wouldn’t threaten businesses like Boeing because they are building in one of those states that “don’t count”, more businesses would be ready to build. Nah, that’s just crazy talk.

  16. The answer is, election fraud by certain key Repub election officials.

    Bullsh**. And Common Dreams? That’s your source for “evidence?” LOL.

    As I said, you’re no better than blubonnet. IOW, you’re a certified conspiratorial loon.

  17. “…had we had Dems in the oval office instead of the wicked Dick Cheney and his neocon cohorts.”

    See? There it is! You lefists don’t see a guy like Dick Cheney as wrong, no no no, he’s “wicked”. Demonize everyone with whom you disagree! When you start with that crap my response is to tell you if you’d like to see “wicked” look in the mirror. You’re projecting again, Perry.

  18. Well Hube, I guess when you dig a big enough gap, someone’s bound to bridge it. Other than Pho no one here can dig a broader gap than Perry. “Wicked”, indeed. Everyone with whom he disagrees is EVIL, not just wrong, but eeeeevil dontcha know.

  19. “Experts agree, now in hindsight, that we would have been in a global recession had we not had TARP and the ARRA.”

    Are you really doing the “what if” scenario? Okay, I’ll play along. I submit that cancer would be cured today by one of those million babies sacrificed on the alter of Planned Parenthood. How’s that? Makes as much sense as your “expert” hypotheses.

  20. Like I said before, Hoagie-John, it is all about you, and when you don’t get your way, you behave like a child having a tantrum, like right now. There’s no having a discussion with a person like you’ve been lately. What’s the change all about, John?

  21. I said: “Experts agree, now in hindsight, that we would have been in a global recession had we not had TARP and the ARRA.”

    Do you disagree with that statement, John?

  22. “Wicked”, indeed.

    Absolutely! Aren’t war criminals wicked? In fact, I allege that Cheney is a war criminal, no different than any other leader who has attacked a sovereign nation unprovoked, unleashing a violent attack that results in the deaths of several hundred thousand innocent civilians, as happened in Iraq. Have you no regard for innocent lives, John?

    It appears that in your mind, because he is an American (and a Republican?), he can hardly be a war criminal, regardless of what he does, is that it John?

  23. Very good, Perry. You managed to turn the discussion on me without so much as answering even one of my questions. But that’s okay because I realize your answers would never be for less government, fewer regulations, lower taxes and lower spending. Those “radical” ideas are off the table and out of the question. Just keep on doing the same old crap over and over and over. But I guess being lickened to a child having a tantrum is better than being called wicked. Puts me a step up from Dick Cheney I guess. And at least I’m not a moron or a dimwit today.

  24. “Absolutely! Aren’t war criminals wicked? In fact, I allege that Cheney is a war criminal, no different than any other leader who has attacked a sovereign nation unprovoked, unleashing a violent attack that results in the deaths of several hundred thousand innocent civilians, as happened in Iraq.”

    You mean as Clinton did in Boznia and as Obama is doing in Lybia? And you may “allege” anything you want but as of this time Cheney has not been charged with war crimes nor has he been convicted of such and by you saying he’s a war criminal you are commiting slander. I guess slandering a Republican is okay with you though, kinda like telling Tea Partiers they should go to hell. Right? Oh hell, did I just throw another tantrum?

  25. “All you guys have in your quiver are the same old tried and failed ideas. “

    We had eight years of that, John, and where did it leave this nation? From a surplus to a Great Recession, that’s where. And you call for more of the same. That’s insanity!!! At least Obama and the Dems have been able to turn this economy from a rapidly sinking GDP in the negative, and from a precipitous drop in unemployment, to weak growth and slightly improved employment, while rescuing the financial and auto industry.

    Where is the Republican plan to grow the economy and create jobs? Talk about more of “same old tried and failed ideas”, I would say those are on your side, Reaganomics, to which you people cling, in spite of the demonstrated failure of trickle down economics. You conservatives by definition never change, and that definition becomes actualized year after year after year, because you refuse to acknowledge reality, the reality of eight failed years from which we are desperately trying to recover!

  26. “… and by you saying he’s a war criminal you are commiting slander.”

    No, John, I am stating my opinion. Remember what I just said about control? Well you just proved my point, by attempting to control the expression of an opinion with your threat of slander. How many times have you called me a “commie” lately, John? I just ignore it, knowing the source!

  27. Cheney has not been charged with war crimes nor has he been convicted of such and by you saying he’s a war criminal you are commiting slander.

    Mean Mr Moustache was never charged with war crimes or convicted of same, which I guess makes any discussion of the Holocaust slander against his good name as well.

    That the US establishment is too corrupt and complicit to prosecute does not make the man innocent. Chaney is a war criminal.

  28. At the risk of further traumatizing you Perry, I could allege Obama is guilty of crimes against humanity for what he’s done to our Republic through force, coersion and croney-capitalism and what he and his ilk have done to our economy. Let the allegations fly why don’t we? Wow, allegations are cool. Just throw one out there and everyone runs for cover! What’s next? Rick Perry is a neo-nazi?

  29. “Very good, Perry. You managed to turn the discussion on me without so much as answering even one of my questions.”

    That’s right, John, because I don’t consider any of your mocking questions to be serious. When you are ready to have a serious discussion, count me in.

    I’m outta here for now.

  30. Mean Mr. Moustache wasn’t charged or convicted because Mr. Moustache killed himself in case you didn’t notice. And you can do your silly repetition of “Cheney is a war criminal” all you want. It dosen’t make it so. As of today he’s just an ex-vice president. However, I do agree with your assessment of our government as corrupt. Obama and his ilk have made it that way with his czars, tax cheats, lobbyists and perverts he employs.

    What is it in the DNA of leftists which causes them to criminalize anyone with whom they disagree? One cannot be just “the opposition” one must be eeevil, wicked and so on. And if you all can’t margenalize them as eeeevil then they must be “stupid”.

    Now, I’m outta here.

  31. There’s Perry, spewing forth again, attacking Hoagie like he attacks Hube, like he attacks me, like he attacks Dana, like he attacks every Conservative. Then he retreats to his absolutely over-the-top vile passive-aggressive dance like he’s as innocent as Dennis Rodman, Bill Laimbeer and the rest of that Detroit basketball team. Oh right, they just got away with a lot of crap and only played innocent. Just like Perry does here on this blog every single day. Gap-bridger my butt.

    Hey, Perry, why don’t you tell us what the evidence of a quality blog is again? How’s yours doing? Getting 30 hits a day yet? How about 40 page-views a day? I know, maybe 10 comments a day. Well, at least your readership is growing month-by-month, right? You’re really starting to make a difference, right? Yeah, didn’t think so.

    Why don’t you go back and figure out why your Socialist claptrap and your radical Left-Wing conspiracy theories and your raaaaacism card just aren’t attracting any attention at all and then get back to us, hmmm?

  32. Mean Mr. Moustache wasn’t charged or convicted because Mr. Moustache killed himself in case you didn’t notice

    That’s right, Hoagie-Woagie – but according to the “logic” displayed above by you w1ngnuts, that makes him innocent of being a war criminal.

    Chaney is a war criminal – it’s just that the US is so sunken in corruption that there’s no way he’ll be charged for his crimes.

  33. The Phoenician forgets his history:

    Cheney has not been charged with war crimes nor has he been convicted of such and by you saying he’s a war criminal you are commiting slander.

    Mean Mr Moustache was never charged with war crimes or convicted of same, which I guess makes any discussion of the Holocaust slander against his good name as well.

    It was “mean Mr Mustache’s” Third Reich which was the start of war crimes prosecutions; der Führer would have been hanged if he had been caught.

    But, as I’ve told you many times before: war crimes are just the excuses used by the winners to hang the losers. General Curtis LeMay, who ran our strategic bombing campaign against Japan, noted that, had Japan won the war, her military leaders would have been the heroes, while General LeMay would have been the one hanged for war crimes.

    Y’all can blather about former Vice President Cheney being a “war criminal” all you want; it makes just about as much sense as Perry’s claim that John Kerry won Ohio, and thus the Presidency, in 2004.

    Then again, y’all actually think Barack Obama has been a great President, too; y’all are smoking some bad weed!

  34. The local Perry wrote:

    I think the American people will see through your propaganda and reelect him in large numbers in the states that really count!

    Are we to take that as an Official Perry Prediction?

  35. Dana Pico says:
    29 August 2011 at 20:31 (Edit)

    The local Perry wrote:

    I think the American people will see through your propaganda and reelect him in large numbers in the states that really count!

    Are we to take that as an Official Perry Prediction?

    Here’s the issue with Perry’s absolutely elitist proclamation:
    1) It’s as purposely vague as a horrorscope;
    2) It’s elitist because, by definition, “the states that really count” means there are states that don’t count;
    3) Whatever states that Obama wins in large numbers in 2012 will then turn out to be the only states that really count.

    My prediction:
    Since Obama is under water in opinion polls for Deep Blue states like New York and New Jersey and in Pennsylvania where Democrats hold a double-digit lead over Republicans in registration, Obama will not reach 270 electoral votes and some of the states Obama will win will be by small margins, thus “the states that really count” by Perry’s metric will prove to consist of a very decided minority of the population.

    [added: polling data linkage]

  36. “It isn’t the Republicans who have a weak case, but the President who has a weak record. No matter how much you try to explain it away, it won’t work: failure is still failure.”

    OK Dana, in addition to what I just pointed out, let me address your constant whining that Obama is a failure:

    On spending:

    On deficits:

    On the origin of our budget deficits:

    On the stimulus and jobs:

    On the positive impact of the ARRA i.e. the stimulus:

    Now before you again try to claim that Obama is a failure, you are going to have to deal with these data, otherwise your claim will not be credible to anyone other than your tribe! :)

    PS: These data are from reputable and credible sources, which you will discover by checking their sources. Or if you wish, I will supply them.

  37. “Are we to take that as an Official Perry Prediction?”

    Well I still need to know who your candidate is. If you nominate a tea bagger or an extreme Rightie, you will certainly lose. Huntsman is an interesting candidate, and Romney would give Obama the best battle, but the rest of your collection – no way!

    PS: I assume you remember the outcome the last time you and I made a wager. You might want to take that into account ahead of your prediction, assuming that it is different from mine. I believe that some degree of sanity and reality will finally set in, and that you will nominate Romney, who would be your best bet, even better than Giuliani or Christie.

    PS: By the way, what charity did you donate to in my name, Dana?

  38. Perry:
    Now before you again try to claim that Obama is a failure, you are going to have to deal with these data, otherwise your claim will not be credible to anyone other than your tribe!

    PS: These data are from reputable and credible sources, which you will discover by checking their sources. Or if you wish, I will supply them.

    YES, SOURCE IT.

    Perry, you’re trying very hard to make BO the Second Coming, but he’s not. Anybody can make graphs to say what they think we want, and other play it straight. Right now, Rasmussen has a spread of -26 points between Highly Like to Highly Dislike. There is a reason for that and it’s in the deficit spending, the lack of a housing market, the lack of jobs, no real promises kept. You can throw as many charts saying BO walks on water, but if you look, he’s stepping on the rocks at waterlevel.

  39. Pingback: Perry Hood: There Are States That Don’t Count « Truth Before Dishonor

  40. Now I’m back. Perry, your graphs and charts are so skewed, they mean nothing. Show me something real for crap sakes! Really? That nonsense? Common dude, you can do better than that. Are you doing the “Pho” line of thought? Stupid is what stupid does. Common, you can do better.

  41. As Yorkshire said, BO ain’t the second comming. He’s a phuckin’ ass hole. Can’t you see that? Holy crap you guys are dense! What, you can’t say “I made a mistake” then move on? You gotta keep pushin’ a line of bull-shit till you get cramps? Okay, we’ll go with that but it’s gonna cost you!

  42. No, John, those graphs and charts are facts. I understand that you don’t like these facts, so ignore them in your desire to be ignorant, if you wish; but that is hardly impressive!

    Yorkshire, the sources of these graphs and charts are printed at the bottom of all but one, but they are hard to read, so let me spell them out for you:

    On Spending: Budget of the United States Government: Historical Tables Fiscal Year 2012.

    On Deficits: Ibid

    On the Origin of Our Deficits: NY Times, 07/24/2011.

    On the stimulus and jobs: Bureau of Labor Statistics, 8/5/2011.

    On the positive impact of the ARRA: Based on the Bureau of Economic Analysis Data.

    Now what are you going to do with these facts, continue to carry on with the Rush Limbaugh party line?

  43. “Obama is a war criminal!”

    That may well be true! He did not initiate the invasion of either Iraq or Afghanistan, and he is trying to extricate us from Iraq, but he escalated our war in Afghanistan, a sovereign country, in which we should not be fighting anymore, especially since OBL is gone. Obama is responsible for the collateral damage we are doing, and he is responsible for continuing the Cheney/Bush rendition policy. He is also responsible for the detainment of individuals who have not been brought to court before a judge. And, we Americans have forgotten that the Patriot Act continues in force.

  44. “As Yorkshire said, BO ain’t the second comming. He’s a phuckin’ ass hole. Can’t you see that? Holy crap you guys are dense! What, you can’t say “I made a mistake” then move on? You gotta keep pushin’ a line of bull-shit till you get cramps? Okay, we’ll go with that but it’s gonna cost you!”

    No, John, I cannot see that!

  45. Oh yea! Graphs, charts, stats…. they are all a replacement for common sense! Are you nuts? How is our economy today? Is it good? Are we prosperous? Are we going forward? If your answer is “yes” then believe your charts. If your answer is “no” then believe your common sense. Just like you Perry, I could surf the internet and find all kinda’ “facts” or charts to back up my assertions. I choose not to. Not because I’m always right but because I can see what’s going on around me. Comm’on dude, you can’t see the leftists have and are killing our country? Really? Comm’on, look again. It’s funny but I have no problem with a liberal like you, but I do have a problem with someone so ideaolgcaly stubborn that they won’t reognise when we are in deep do-do. I know we both love America. I don’t want to see her in deep do-do. But giving her over to the “collective” ain’t America’s style. We are fee men, in a free country. There is no way in my life, I’d give up either my freedom nor America’s.

  46. Oh yea! Graphs, charts, stats…. they are all a replacement for common sense!

    Hoagie obviously believes the sun goes around the Earth, as common sense tells us…

  47. Now I’m back. Perry, your graphs and charts are so skewed, they mean nothing. Show me something real for crap sakes!

    “Economist”?

    Fill in a matchbook cover, did you?

  48. But, as I’ve told you many times before: war crimes are just the excuses used by the winners to hang the losers. General Curtis LeMay, who ran our strategic bombing campaign against Japan, noted that, had Japan won the war, her military leaders would have been the heroes, while General LeMay would have been the one hanged for war crimes.

    And as you have been told, that’s your opinion, and you’re a pretty pitiful excuse for an American “patriot”.

    Article 3 of the Constitution

    Section 2
    The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under
    this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which
    shall be made, under their Authority;

    TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 118 > § 2441

    § 2441. War crimes

    (a) Offense.— Whoever, whether inside or outside the United States, commits a war crime, in any of the circumstances described in subsection (b), shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for life or any term of years, or both, and if death results to the victim, shall also be subject to the penalty of death.

    We’re perfectly aware, Dana, that you have nothing but disdain for the Constitution and laws of the United States if they don’t suit you or your tribe. It’s one of the reasons people disdain you.

  49. Perry wrote:

    “Are we to take that as an Official Perry Prediction?”

    Well I still need to know who your candidate is. If you nominate a tea bagger or an extreme Rightie, you will certainly lose. Huntsman is an interesting candidate, and Romney would give Obama the best battle, but the rest of your collection – no way!

    If we nominate either Messrs Romney or Huntsman, we will lose part of the energy of our base, but that, of course, is exactly what you want. You’d feign approval, because those two candidates are closer to President Obama’s positions than the real conservatives, but it wouldn’t matter: you’d still vote for President Obama.

    PS: By the way, what charity did you donate to in my name, Dana?

    If I remember correctly, the bet called for me to donate to President Obama’s re-election campaign. It wasn’t done in your name, because you can’t make campaign contributions that way, legally.

  50. PS: By the way, what charity did you donate to in my name, Dana?

    If I remember correctly, the bet called for me to donate to President Obama’s re-election campaign. It wasn’t done in your name, because you can’t make campaign contributions that way, legally.

    Yeah, that is correct, Dana. I must have considered Obama a charity case back then, and you must have gritted your teeth when you wrote the check. And just think, Dana, you had a part in Obama’s successful election campaign. Congratulations! :)

  51. “… but I do have a problem with someone so ideaolgcaly stubborn that they won’t reognise when we are in deep do-do.”

    John, I know we are in deep “do-do”, and have said so on here many times; we are declining. And the question is not only how we declined, but how we can get out of our decline. Only austerity, as Dana recommends, is not the answer, as the UK is now demonstrating as we speak. With interest rates as low as they are, we can borrow to invest in infrastructure rebuilding and education/innovation, while simultaneously beginning to phase in spending cuts, revenue enhancements, and tax increases on the wealthy (shared burden). I am hopeful that Obama’s upcoming speech calls for exactly this approach.

    I am also hopeful that Repubs will get on board and contribute to our recovery. But do you know what? They won’t, because a more robust recovery will go against them politically regarding their plans to prevail in the 2012 elections. So with them, it really is party over country, as has been the case from the day that the Obama [administration] took office. And you call these Repubs patriotic? I don’t!

    PS: And btw, John, take a closer look at those charts. They are factual, as they tell a story that your right-wing media are manipulating into their own fiction!

  52. Only austerity, as Dana recommends, is not the answer, as the UK is now demonstrating as we speak.

    There you go again, Perry, with your “evidence” and “facts”, when common sense informs teabaggers that tax cuts and spending cuts will cure every economic ill imaginable, no matter what the circumstance.

  53. Actually, austerity makes the personally irresponsible Leftist leeches violate all manner of laws, as could be predicted by the attitudes of Leftists: they’re never responsible for their actions but they are deserving of all the freebies they can get their 2-year-old grubby little hands on. Same as it ever was, no adults among the rabid Leftists. For example, the Two Ps in a Pod.

  54. Actually, austerity makes the personally irresponsible Leftist leeches violate all manner of laws, as could be predicted by the attitudes of Leftists: they’re never responsible for their actions but they are deserving of all the freebies they can get their 2-year-old grubby little hands on. Same as it ever was, no adults among the rabid Leftists. For example, the Two Ps in a Pod.

    Uh-huh. Very convincing.

  55. Perry wrote:

    I am also hopeful that Repubs will get on board and contribute to our recovery. But do you know what? They won’t, because a more robust recovery will go against them politically regarding their plans to prevail in the 2012 elections. So with them, it really is party over country, as has been the case from the day that the Obama [administration] took office. And you call these Repubs patriotic? I don’t!

    The assumption behind that statement is that the Republicans agree with you that more and more government spending is what is needed, and they won’t go along with it, because we’d rather defeat President Obama. It just never seems to occur to you that maybe, just maybe, the Republicans don’t accept your ideas that more spending and more stimulus is what is needed; it seems to be beyond your comprehension that other people might see things differently than you do.

    Of course, we’ve already tried it your way, with the huge, misbegotten stimulus program, and it didn’t work. Unemployment rose to much higher than was promised, and higher than we were told it would go if we didn’t pass it, while projections for GDP were never met. That leave y’all defending the program on negative grounds, “Oh, things would have been much worse if we hadn’t done it.”

    Well, most people can see through a moving the goalposts argument, and when you (plural) make promises and then fail to deliver on them — or even come close — a whole lot of people are going to see you as having failed.

    We blew nearly a trillion dollars on the last, failed stimulus plan. Just how much bigger do you think the next stimulus plan would have to be, Perry? I’d remind you here that the new debt ceiling is $16.7 trillion, and our current national debt is around $14.67 trillion With an annual deficit in the $1.3 trillion range, an additional stimulus plan on top of that could only be $700 billion (roughly), or smaller than the last, failed package, before we’d hit the debt ceiling again.

  56. “Of course, we’ve already tried it your way, with the huge, misbegotten stimulus program, and it didn’t work.”

    You know, you keep saying that Dana, even though I presented evidence to you that the stimulus did work, though admittedly not to the extent expected. This you simply cannot deny while hoping to retain a modicum of credibility:

    Thus, on what basis do YOU claim that ARRA did not work, Dana?

Comments are closed.